About Chris & Octane Detailing
Hi, I'm Chris Woolman
I’m a passionate guy that can do just about anything, and I do it well. I love cars. I really love cars. I also love music as I’m a bit of an audiophile, and I’m an amateur photographer too with a passion for motorsport photography.
Cars have always interested me and I’ve been obsessed with them for as long as I can remember. My first car memories are of me helping my dad repaint the grill emblems on the family’s Datsun station wagon. A trip to the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca back in 2006 magnified my passion for cars and turned me into a true car nut.
My enthusiasm for cars has led me to where I am today. It helped me get a job at a detail shop while attending Westminster College in Salt Lake City. It wasn’t long until one of my best client’s hired me to work for his audio/video custom installation business. I soon learned an appreciation for high-end audio and video, and spent the next 18 years in that industry.
During that time, I met and married my wife Brittney. She’s truly a wonderful person with a passion for teaching. We have two amazing kids, Cameron and Jolene. We also have two very destructive Labrador Retrievers, but we love them anyway.
In 2014 I started Octane Detailing as a way to work around cars, my passion. It’s been an incredible journey and experience. I’ve been trained by some of the best detailers in the country, and worked on some amazing vehicles, including the Presidential motorcade at the Ronald Regan Library, and Air Force One at the Seattle Museum of Flight.
That’s about it for now, but this is just the beginning. I’m determined to make more history!
18 Random Things About Me
- I’m a bit OCD, but in a good way.
- My dad and I restored a 1968 Mercury Cougar together and it won best of show at Fabulous Fords Forever in 1997. Celebrity judges were Lindsay Wagner, the Bionic Woman and Parnelli Jones, the Racing Driver.
- I have two Labrador Retrievers named Luke & Leia.
- I’m the original owner of a 2003 MINI Cooper S, which I love!
- Legos and Hot Wheels are two of my favorite things.
- My Uncle is a real Cowboy.
- My daughter’s name is Jolene, and yes she was named after the song, but not the one you’re thinking of. Jolene by Ray Lamontagne.
- I named my son Cameron. One of my favorite movies is Almost Famous, written and directed by Cameron Crowe. But mostly I just like the name.
- Han shot first. That’s all you need to know.
- I love the fact that Dog spelled backwards is God.
- Chicago Cubs! Not the Cardinals, not the Red Sox, not the Yankees, and not the Dodgers!!!
- The ’66 meatballs on my Baja Bug were painted using 1-Shot Lettering Enamel handed down by the legendary pinstriper, “Shaky” Jake.
- I’ve stood on the third base line at Dodger Stadium and appeared on the Jumbo Tron.
- My grandfather helped build B-25s during WWII and later worked on the Space Shuttle program as a technical illustrator.
- My love of cars all started because of my dad. He got me hooked on the Ford Mustang and it all snowballed from there.
- One of my favorite things to do is walk down Main Street, U.S.A at Disneyland first thing in the morning.
- My wife is an elementary school teacher, and I think that’s pretty cool.
- I believe that families are forever.
Renny's Hitman at Detailing Success
I trained with Master Detailer Renny Doyle of Detailing Success in 2013 and again in 2017. Renny is known as the Detailer of Air Force One. He started Detailing Success to train, mentor and coach professionals within the art of professional auto detailing and has trained over 400 detailers worldwide.
In 2018, I teamed up with Renny and now assist him with the day-to-day operations of Detailing Success and provide administrative, marketing and training support. I also support nearly 200 members of The Detail Mafia through continuing education and special training events. In addition, I assist with the The Air Force One Detailing Team at the Seattle Museum of Flight, and The Official McCall’s Detailing Team, which benefits the CHP 11-99 Foundation.
Made Member of The Detail Mafia
The Detail Mafia is a family. We are an exclusive group of detailers, each of whom has trained with Renny Doyle and has had to prove themselves “Made-Men” or “Made-Women” to become a member. Detail Mafia members are the most accomplished and technologically-advanced team of detailers in the world.
Detail Mafia members must prove themselves through the mentorship of others; the willingness to work on regional and local projects; their commitment to ongoing education, trade show appearances, seminars, special events, and product/equipment demonstrations; their willingness to participate in volunteer community projects; and their outward show of exceptional leadership and professional skills.
Air Force One Detailing Team
I have now had the honor to be part of the Air Force One Detailing Team twice. First in 2018 and again in 2019. The team is made up of elite detailers from around the world that are selected by Renny Doyle to clean, polish and protect a number of planes at the Seattle Museum of Flight, including their historic Air Force One.
The Air Force One Detailing Team has been restoring, maintaining, and preserving the first presidential jet Air Force One known as SAM (Special Air Missions) 970 since 2003. The plane served Presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon. It also entertained many international VIPs such as Nikita Khrushchev and Henry Kissinger. Over the years, the team has cared for dozens of other aircraft including the Concord and a WWII B-29 Superfortress known as “T-Square 54”.
Official McCall's Detailing Team
Since 2015, members of The Detail Mafia have been selected to assist P&S Detail Products as the McCall’s Official Detailing Team. In 2019, I was invited to join the team and help prep cars, motorcycles and aircraft for the McCall’s Motorworks Revival and The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering. Both are part of the prestigious Monterey Car Week.
McCall’s Motorworks Revival is the kickoff gala to Monterey Car Week and was founded by legendary collector, Gordon McCall. The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering is the crown jewel of Monterey Car Week. Since it’s inception, it has hosted the world’s finest and most valuable vintage sports and luxury cars, which demand and require the most specialized care.
Certified Member of the IDA
The International Detailing Association (IDA) is the leading industry association for professional detailing operators, suppliers, and consultants to the industry. The association is dedicated to promoting the value of professional detailing services, the recognition of professional detailing as a trade, and empowering detailing industry professionals at each stage in their career.
I’m am a proud member and supporter of the IDA and have earned both my Certified Detailer (CD) and Skills Validated (SV) certifications. Being certified and remaining certified is part of my commitment to being an outstanding professional detailer and leader within the detailing industry. I’m also committed to the IDA Code of Ethics.